Let’s Talk Marketing Collateral In a Digital Age
"A sound marketing plan is essential to the success of your business. Without a defined strategy to make your property stand out, your brand is bound to blend in with an endless sea of competitors."
By: William Scott, Brand Strategist
What Is Marketing Collateral?
Marketing collateral is simply any media graphic used to communicate or promote a company's products or services. For example, stationery, brochures, billboards, instagram/facebook covers, newsletters, and even your website function as marketing collateral. The collection of graphical assets is designed to deliver on-brand narrative and inform customers about your unique selling proposition.
Why You Need Marketing Collateral
Marketing collateral is the core of a rental business’ marketing efforts. It provides customers all the core information they need about a brand and property.
To better understand why marketing collateral is important, here are the key reasons your business needs marketing collateral:
- Marketing collateral represents your property: Marketing collateral lets every business speak for itself. No matter the size, your business can get the word out about what you offer and how you stand out right away with marketing collateral.
- It communicates your value proposition: Marketing collateral helps to explain how your property speaks to your core audience’s lifestyle, vibe and values.
- Marketing collateral connects your audience with your brand: Marketing collateral allows you to share brand messages and converse with customers across a wide range of communication channels, be they digital or print.
What is Digital Collateral?
Digital marketing collateral includes all forms of digital content used to promote your business. The expansion of online media has created many opportunities for companies to reach their target audience. With digital collateral, you are able to communicate your brand message across a wide range of channels, reaching more customers than you could with face to face interactions alone.
Here are some of the most common forms of digital collateral:
- Website: Your website is the most important form of digital collateral. It's where many of your customers will first interact with your business and it serves as a hub of everything your brand has to offer.
- eBooks and downloadable guides: eBooks are an effective way to educate your target audience and help to position your brand as an authority on certain topics.
- Blog posts: Blog posts are a great tool for attracting a wider audience. They can be used to answer questions people are searching for and help to build brand awareness in the process.
- Logo: Your logo is the face of your brand and will be present everywhere your brand is in the digital world.
- Promo Videos: This dynamic form of content can be used to promote your brand or an upcoming event. Videos tend to gain the most engagement from an audience and are a great tool to add to your marketing mix.
What is Print Collateral?
Quite simply, print collateral is any marketing collateral created using printed material. The objective of print collateral is to provide prospective and current tenants with on-brand, tangible information pertaining to your property.
Some examples of common print collateral include:
- Business cards
- Posters and fliers
- Marketing brochures
- Leaflets and pamphlets
- Notebooks and stationary
- Direct mail, postcards
- Thank you cards
Why print collateral is essential to your property:
- Good first impression: High-quality printed material makes a positive, subconscious, first impression. Normally, potential residents’ first impressions of your business come through your marketing (Craigslist, Facebook Ad, or Google Ad). You want to make sure that the first encounter with those potential residents shows that your property is catered to them and has something valuable to offer their lifestyle.
- Print has long-lasting effects: A beautifully made brochure or leaflet shows your potential residents that you put time and effort into something you’re giving away for free. This goes a long way in building brand image and creating a salient memory in the mind of your prospective residents.
- Print collateral is evergreen: No matter what advances are made in digital marketing and technology, print will always be a crucial part of communication. We have used paper for millennia and there's a reason it will always be around. There's something enjoyable about holding a beautifully designed brochure or business card that you just can't get through digital means. Digital marketing is more dynamic, however, print will continue to serve as a viable marketing method to complement your digital campaigns.
- Print materials reinforce your unique value: Property owners should not overlook the power of printed pieces when it comes to turning prospects into customers. Printed materials serve as a strategic reiteration of the main points presented in your digital marketing efforts, but tangible. Whether it's listing out the pricing options, showcasing the new features of the home, or describing the main attractions of the local area, print collateral helps you voice your value offering to customers in a unique and tangible way.
How To Design Print Collateral That Stands Out
Format And Dimensions
The first step to making your printed communications stand out is to consider various sizing options for your lettering. A large-scale piece may make a big impact, but it can also overwhelm some readers. A smaller option is a great way to catch a reader's attention but it could be so small it’s considered unimportant. The ideal size will depend on the content and how you visually present it. A good practice is to not use a font or typeface below 10-point (EVER!).
Printing effects are a great way to add some unique style and enhance the overall look and especially feel of your collateral. Some notable printing techniques worth considering include spot UV, embossing, foil stamping, and textures. Additions like these bring some flair to your print collateral and encourage readers to pay closer to the information on your piece.
The bindery techniques that you choose for your print collateral can significantly impact how your message is perceived by your prospects. There are countless materials, colors, sizes, and finishes of bindery available to choose from. The best bindery techniques will depend on the type of collateral you are developing.
You may overlook the type of paper you select for your print collateral but it's a critical component. Choosing the right paper is like a ribbon that cohesively ties everything together. If your property has high end amenities, generic stock paper may cause prospects to not take your business seriously. You want to make sure you take advantage of all the paper choices at your disposal. Consider your brand identity and the message you're trying to communicate, then choose papers that complement that message.
Let's Get You Standing Out Over The Competition
Unsung Studio is here to give your vacation rental a competitive edge and succeed in the crowded market. As creative experts in vacation rental and property branding, we understand the importance of both first impressions and a strong consistent brand that stands the test of time.
Ready To Create Your Company's Identity?
As Your Creative Partner we'll improve your marketing collateral, looking exactly how you want it in no time!